Google+ The NES Cat: The eastern Netherlands retro gaming store: Gameshop Twente

Thursday, November 13, 2014

The eastern Netherlands retro gaming store: Gameshop Twente


Hi all, haven't posted anything for a while, but now I'm on my vacation and I have plenty of time to update the blog.

In this post «The Cat» travels you to the beautiful Netherlands, specifically to the eastern city of Enschede. After being into Amsterdam for 3 days, I just wanted something less urban and noisy, so I headed for Enschede. The city is amazing, quite compact (about 150.000 people) without many tourists, but it is quite lively as it's the home of The University of Twente, the only campus University in the Netherlands. So, as you might understand, the students liven up the city.

Now, straight to the point:

As I was walking around Enschede's market, one of the stores caught my eye. Its name: Gameshop Twente. At first glance I thought it was just another modern video game store, but then I saw a Nintendo Entertainment System sign. I turned back and walked right in.

The ground floor is just an ordinary video game store with a big collection of titles for all the current consoles and PC's. But when you climb up the staircase it's like every stair you climb, you go back 1 year in time and you end up back in the golden age of gaming, the decade between 1985-1995.

To be honest, there are some more modern stuff up there that are considered retro, like the Sega Dreamcast, the Nintendo Gamecube etc.

When I reached the 1st floor I went straight to the NES section. The shop has a quite big collection of around 200 (more or less) NES titles and also some great accessories.
I found great titles, some in their boxes at a good price range, more or less eBay-like prices. The display had a playable NES console with Ikari Warriors game that was hooked up to a 14'' TV. I played a bit and then I continued browsing the titles and the accessories. I found two flight sticks that I had never seen before and a NES Four Score with a wooden-like finish. It also had ROB and some other cool stuff, but unfortunately, the Buddy was not for sale.

Next to the NES, lies the Super NES with its own collection of games and accessories. The store also sells SNES game boxes and manuals to complete your game collection!

The Nintendo 64 has its own big window that shares it with a little Virtual Boy section, that only includes a display only VB.

I especially liked the Gameboy stand that took me 25+ years back when I was standing in line in the toy shop for a chance to play on the «Βig Screen Gameboy».

The store's website is http://www.gameshoptwente.nl/ and you can check out the merchandise and availability of the title you're looking for.

The list goes on and on, so I will post you some photos to see what the retro floor of the shop includes. Enjoy them and if you ever stop by Enschede (or Hengelo-the store has a branch there) visit Gameshop Twente and you will not be disappointed. Thanks for reading!

The Super Nintendo and Gameboy stands

The Atari stand has quite a few games and consoles

Some Atari games

More Atari

The Atari console

Some 2600 games, no box

The Sega Mega Drive II box

A Nintendo NES game lot

Boxed games

Some more NES games

The NES and two flight sticks

Another shot of the NES and some accessories

The Nintendo 64 window

Also the N64 window

What do you think of these two gems? Two table tops, only one for sale

Super NES games and more

NES and SNES window

It's ROB the robot, but he's not fore sale

The Gameboy stand, where you can play Tetris

Haven't seen a GB Advance stand before

Philips videopac or Magnavox Odyssey... 
The Neo-Geo

Another Atari system

The Atari 7800

Remember Atari Lynx? Here's some games 
The Super Nintendo stand

1 comment: